Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Taste it Tuesday: Snack Substitute First Edition

Today's Taste It Tuesday is all about snack substitutes. Throughout my snacking life (yes I am a fan!), I equate snacks to fast food or junk food. I have a particularly soft spot for the Hawaiian pizza of Pizza Hut which you can buy for P55 for two slices. Sounds like a great deal, right?

Yessss, until you look up it's nutritional contents. With the help of My Fitness Pal.Com, I was able to find out what I was really eating.

For Taste It Tuesdays Snack Sub, I prowled the grocery store to find a better snack alternative. It must satisfy the following criteria:
  1. Easy to find.
  2.  About the same price range as my snack substitute (in this case, P55)
  3.  Equally filling and tasty and
  4. Healthier
After a few minutes, I found this wonderful combo: a small apple and Nestle Fruit Selection Yogurt.


Now, let's check our criteria:
  1. It is easy to find! You can buy apples at most grocery stores and fruit stalls by the road (for an even cheaper price). The yogurt, although less common, can still be found in most grocery and convenience stores.
  2. The apple is priced P14 (you can buy it for P10 in fruit stalls) while the yogurt is P29. Adding that up makes P43, P12 less than our budget!
  3. This apple I bought was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. In fact, I wasn't able to eat it all because my brother took a slice for himself! Haha. The yogurt was creamy and the fruit bits tasted like the real thing.
  4. I again consulted my new good friend, My Fitness Pal.Com and made a table of comparison.








 Our Snack Sub won 12 is to 1! This means that you get at lot more for paying less. What a deal!
Yay for a healthier snack!
Certified Snack Subbing Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?